- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don't have to give the same information several times during one task;
- recognising that you may already have given a username and password so you don't need to do it for every web page requested; or
- measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and to ensure that there is enough capacity to maintain demand.
There are two types of cookies used on our website:
- Session cookies are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you close the browser. We use session cookies to carry information across pages of our site and avoid you having to re-enter information each time you enter a new page.
- Persistent cookies remain in the cookie file of your browser even after the browser is closed. The length of time a cookie remains depends on its lifespan. We use persistent cookies to collect and compile anonymous, aggregated information for statistical and evaluation purposes to help us understand how users use the website and help us improve the structure of our website.
We use Google Analytics to analyse the use of this website. Google Analytics sets cookies to help us accurately estimate the number of visitors to the website and volumes of usage, e.g. website statistics. This ensures us that the service is available when you want it and fast.
For further details on the cookies set by Google Analytics, please refer to the Google Code website.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies but please be aware blocking cookies may have a negative impact upon the usability of some websites.